View Single Post
Old 2008-09-15, 06:01 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member

Re: Traders Den Sharing Standards (Video)

Not to mention Xvid is better than divx. and 6 months from now some other crappy format will come along and be better for tiny videos on your iphone.

I think the issues have been beaten to death and I don't need to reiterate or summarize now. SD footage is best suited for mpeg2 and DVD. whether it's from low bitrate sources, VHS, tv rips, etc.... or DV cameras. (at this time) DVD is small enough that bandwidth is not a problem for most users. And this site is not about download as fast as you can. It's about downloading the best possible source. Divx is not better than DVD. period. It looks like crap on a TV. esp. bad on an HDTV. Why split the history of all the material currently traded here and esp. for some transient second rate codec.

HD is a tough one at this point. The GBs are very high for high quality and bandwidth is an issue. I think you will find our standards are trying to deal with this fact. We allow many formats at this point since there is no industry standard and bitrates are such a big deal.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes