View Single Post
Old 2011-08-15, 02:14 PM

Re: New audio torrent rule, no remasters unless by specific permission

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
We fucking discourage digital NR, period. With malice and great prejudice. Know that.
cool...but would you pull an uncirculated show if the taper or owner had digital NR listed in the lineage, and lots of comments in the thread were talking about it sounding like the 'ol wind chimes that is the hallmark of over-NRed stuff?

Quote:
As far as 320k MP3 sounding ok, sure they do. The problem comes when someone tries to encode them to some other lossy format to fit their needs.
You can do that with a lossless file and it sounds fine for portable usage. Do it with a 320k MP3 and it sounds like glass being juggled underwater.
We don't like aliasing artifacts, so we don't allow MP3 at TTD. Four million other sites do.

MP3 is outside the scope of this thread, though.
it's not though...overzealous and unskilled post processing ruins recordings, on that we can all agree. mp3s aren't welcome here, on that we can also agree. i wasn't advocating for allowing mp3s, I was trying to illustrate the point that there are other destructive things that one can do to a recording besides encode to mp3, and that high bitrate mp3 is benign compared to some of the things one can do with mastering plugins. not even tapers and owners of uncirced shows can upload mp3s, but they can upload all the badly post processed uncirced stuff they want. (or is this now changing?)

Quote:
What we are basically saying, is we will pull a shitty "remaster" if we determine the remaster to be shitty. Our criteria for "remasters" is subjective and inconsistent as hell, so if you don't want to subject your killer EQ job to our wishy-washy merit judgement, simply seed the thing without "remastering" it

Seeding raw (or mostly raw) sources is more along the lines of what TTD is here for... So - if you have a super kick ass tape of some show that Bertha remastered and you think it's awesome, seed it. See what happens. if you don't want to worry about what we'll think, seed the source, as unmolested as possible.
banning bad remasters of existing sources is a no-brainer...but if the taper or owner of uncirced shows can do whatever, including brickwall/limit, apply gobs of digital NR, extreme EQ, watermark, etc., then quality is optional, and the taper's discretion is now the standard. shit, you might as well allow mp3s. some people would prefer that, as they have limited bandwidth, and we'd see some shows pop up here that are only available in lossy. plus, if a taper wanted to release his master recordings raw as VO mp3, holding back the raw flac as trade bait, I know I'd prefer the raw mp3s to such alternatives as a flac version of him passing his master through a cassette gen, or brickwalling it, or adding mallard quacks every five minutes and seeding that as the teaser.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes