View Single Post
Old 2010-02-21, 11:22 AM
TTD Staff

VHS Transfers & Quality [moved from the Van Halen Largo thread]

NOTE [Feb 23]: i have copied a few of the following posts from a discussion in the VH Largo video torrent thread to this thread, it belongs here in Technobabble more than it does there...hopefully this will be an educational discussion re: the transferring of analogue sources to digital that people can learn from

i'm not a Van Halen fan, so i've seen neither of the "versions" being discussed...but as someone who trained & works in video production & editing, i'd like to point out a few FACTS that don't require comparing the two...hopefully we can clear some things up for those who are reading this thread & confused

1. the difference between "casual fan" and "serious fan" matters little when it comes to the subject of quality...nor does the number of shows you've uploaded have any effect on whether or not you know what yer doin when it comes to video production

the difference between "amateur transferer/authorer" & "professional video post-production" however matters a lot...as does the equipment involved

2. "picture quality" is largely subjective, especially when it comes to bootlegs/VHS transfers...its even more subjective when those discussing it are amateurs...sure there are quality issues that are obvious to just about anyone -- drop outs, audio sync, rolling, ghosting, etc...

but things such as color balance, which seems to be a main point for sabkisscrue on this, are not so easily judged...for a VHS transfer like this [where we can't change what occurred in-cam or in the transfers-up-to-this-point], we're left with color balancing in post which is dependent on a number of factors including:
--a professional-grade & accurately calibrated monitor
--close examination of source material using waveform/vectorscope/histogram, and comparing that to TV-standard color bars
--the *knowledge* to know what yer looking at above, and how to adjust RGB/chroma/phase/etc accordingly

no offense to you sabkisscrue, but there are very few people out there who haven't been trained in video post-production that really know what they're doing when it comes to video post- work...just because one has the programs and ability to "tweak", and thinks "that looks better now" -- it doesnt necessarily mean its truly better...its just like the audio "re-masterers" out there who have Adobe Audition and can tweak an EQ, doesn't mean that they know what they're doing and have created a better mix & true upgrade

3. every single TV in every single one of our homes is different -- color [RGB], contrast, brightness, etc...so just because Version A looks better than Version B on your TV doesn't mean it actually is...again, viewing on a professional broadcast monitor is the only way to truly compare

sabkisscrue...
i'm not tryin to put you down, but let's face it -- yer using a consumer-grade camera & consumer-grade standalone DVD recorder to transfer a transfer of a transfer...not exactly verifiable credentials here not to say your "version" couldn't look better than say a VHS(3) transfer using professional gear, raw source quality does make a big difference...but it does point out a level of knowledge/experience that is incongruent with the way you've presented yerself here

don't be afraid to admit you are an amateur...don't be afraid to admit that there are people out there [and even here at TTD & in this thread] who know far more about this process than you, you might learn some things even...i've been in this field for a good while and still learn new things all the time [any true professional knows they've always got something else to learn, this field is ever changing]...and remember that your opinion re: quality is exactly that -- your opinion...no more no less

everyone else...
moral of the story -- when it comes to amateur transfers/authors, the word "upgrade" doesn't mean much...sabkisscrue believes this is the best version circulating, some of the others here say the BTB version is better...i personally recommend trading for [or d/ling ] both versions and see which you prefer

post your opinion here or another board if it makes ya feel better, but remember its just that, yer opinion...and that these are only recordings of concerts -- not the cure for cancer...in the grand scheme of life, bootlegs don't really matter for shit!