View Single Post
Old 2006-12-31, 01:51 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff

Re: A bit of help....please

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEPPER
I dont have any choice really,as i have no line out on my stereo as its only a cheap mini stereo.All i want to know is,will this give me a digital transfer,even if its not the best it could be??..
No. It will be an analog transfer.
The tape is analog - there is no possiblity of doing a digital transfer... that is only possible with digital recorders - like a DAT or one of those compact recorders that have digital outputs.

If you are sharing these tapes because no one has a recording of the event, you should transfer them correctly. Using a headphone output is a horrible way to connect to an input. The line inputs on consumer cards are calibrated for -10db, so you should use a line output that is calibrated at the same level. Nearly all consumer tape decks output -10db line level audio.

Your headphone jack will exhibit a high noise floor if you connect it to a line level input. Hiss city. If you raise the volume of the output to overcome the high hiss floor, dynamic range will swing WAY too wide to record with a line level input without clipping in several places. Turn the volume down to stop the clipping and you are back to having a HIGH noise floor.

HISSSSSssssssss

Get a decent deck.

Preferrably, you'd get a deck with adjustable azimuth so you can match the orginal record head's angle on the tape to avoid a muffled high end. Even if you don't, you should, at the very least, have a deck with line-out jacks.