View Single Post
Old 2008-09-18, 12:32 PM
TTD VIP

Re: Traders Den Sharing Standards (Video)

Kust, DVD is great for people who want simple and easy, and it produces a reasonable quality result

some people want a better result than DVD mpeg2 offers and in smaller file sizes because we do know how to do those things that the 'dumb' masses dont

And as far as how to share the HDV content you are filming H264 compression is a great option, until others become less expensive, I have compressed my U2 HDV masters from 2005/2006 to H264 and all my 2 hour shows are less that 8 gigs and look great, virtual clones of the masters

I shared those shows as 2 disc DVDs last year and they looked good too

I have shared both H264 and Divx files on u2torrents with little or no playback issues for the people there, sadly the reality is i suspect 90% of the people watch little or non of the show, they watch small parts usually on their PC's

Progress is marked by change

I am defineately not saying stop sharing DVDs, it is the standard now, but in 5-10 years DVDs will be as dead as VHS is now

I dont need a $700 Bluray player/burner when I can get a terrabyte hard drive for a few hundred and a cable to hook my computer to my TV for $20

With H264 compression I now have my complete U2 DV/clone/HDV collection on a 500 gig drive with 200 gigs to spare, that is over 200 hours of content, 100 shows(angles), from 1987-2006, and in virtually DV/master/HDV quality with no detectable loss of quality

That is the future, and in that world high quality compressed H264 makes more sense than DVD

But there are still people like my Uncle who own a Betamax VCR and watch his old movies on it 'because the quality is better than VHS', and in 10 years there will still be people with standard deff TVs and DVD players, either for economic or nostalgic reasons