View Single Post
Old 2006-06-16, 06:30 AM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP

Re: Does poor ratio equate bad trader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemc
hi, i have read all the thread......phew!

i agree that we should all get to/try to get to 1:1, sometimes you can't on individual torrents and it takes time to reach as for myself i only have certain interests, thats not an excuse and i know my ratio is only 0.61 before anyone has a go. I am not and never have been a thief of any description and i do try to give back what i get. one thing that has not been mentioned is that for my mind TTD is a community, a community is made up of many parts so if you have a low ratio but start vines isn't that helping the community? Although skode has a ratio of 0.34 i would suggest that if you added his vines to the stats he would be on more then 1:1, after all if you vine 1gig to 10 people it is in effect a ratio of 10:1, isn't it? just a thought, maybe if it was added then we would all start vines and stop people critising in a general way that serves no purpose apart from dissing other members.

Aye thank you

Joe
Hi Joe, First of all,your ratio isn't terrible in that you're only several GB below par. However, skodechoker (and many others) are 60GB to 200+ GB below achieving a decent ratio. Quantity is also a factor, not just mere ratio number. If someone has a 0.3 ratio but has only downloaded a 9GB dvd, then they have only ul 2.7GB. Don't get me wrong...it is still not great, but not terrible. If this pattern continues on for countless DVDs until the person is down by 60GB and has downloaded 90GB, this type of person is clearly not interested in helping anyone out in the torrent. I don't buy the claim about capped ul speeds...everyone else has those too and deals with it by not downloading every show they see.

Now as for your figure of 10:1 ratio for the vine... The person vining it would actually have an imaginary ratio of infinity. Everybody else in the vine, except for the very last person, would then trade 1:1 to perpetuate the vine.

Finally, the purpose is not to "diss" other members. The purpose is in effort to make people realize that there is no law that says they must help out the community. After all, bittorrnet is a huge part of this site, so bittorrent in my mind should be considered separate in terms of trading stats (whether the stats are clearly shown or not, people should strive for 1:1 for any trade online or offline). Now there is no law in this country that says you must hold a door open for an old lady entering a building, but it is proper etiquette and most people do that sort of thing. Not a totally analagous example, I know, but you get the point. We are not always governed by laws, but we must govern ourselves to do the right thing, which in this case is to not steal bandwidth from your peers in the torrent...

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes