Thread: MMM Records
View Single Post
Old 2005-08-21, 09:36 AM
TTD VIP

Re: MMM Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygee
U2Lynne - I have to add that I agree completely with the ideas you expressed above. Freezer claims it is a level playing field with respect to shows he released long ago, but I respectfully have to disagree - I think it could be all downhill from here if we are not vigilant.
The playing field is level, as level as you're going to get it as long as you trust the bootleggers you buy from. Its as level as you can get when you buy stolen property and expect a fair shake.

So, how much money did you say you paid for this Zappa "Ontario Slime" boot?

Well, you obviously got your money's worth.

Caveat Emptor, guy.

Quote:
This show we are discussing now could be some kind of "new threat", it may be some advanced kind of lossy compression or some kind of screwed-up NR that is just as bad as an mp3, or maybe it is something as simple as a ham-handed bandstop filter, perhaps even used to "mark" this version of the show.
If you know anything about the Zappa trade community, only one particular Zappa collector has the reputation for circulating mp3 shows with "ham-fisted" noise reduction techniques. Do you think it's possible that this poor unsuspecting bootlegger got stung when he stole this show for 'commercial' release?

If you look at the dimeadozen thread for this show---
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=55960
---you'll see that some folks have actually figured it out.

"A new threat???" The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Quote:
I looked at the sg and fa and passed it on to others, calling it "bizarre", Five says it is "freakin' weird", and others whom I have shown it to used almost the exact same description. So I think it would be great if we can pull together all the expertise we can muster, get if figured out, and get the word out.
Get the word out? You want to condemn this poor bootlegger's entire catalogue just because you were unhappy with your first experience with his 'product'???

As many comments at dime raved about the sound quality as comdemned it.
That appears to be a pretty level playing field. What more are you owed?

Quote:
If you would rather I not start up such discussions in the future, I will honor your request (with regrets). If we cannot stay on the simple topic at hand, "what happened to this show", then all the off-topic clutter and flaming renders such discussions useless anyways.
Now let's see if I understand you---
You're worried about this show/bootleg because you want to know "what happened to this show"???

And you think that determining who in the Zappa community seeds shows that are mp3 sourced with "ham-fisted" noise reduction is 'off-topic'???

You know, if you'd have just read at your own posts in that very same thread on dime, (you remember, the one you said helped 'just muddied the waters even more...") then you could have figured it out and you wouldn't have needed to start this thread and get hysterical.

Calm down Chicken Little, the sky isn't falling......just yet.

A little common sense would have told you who stung the bootlegger and you by extention.

quack, quack, guy.

No need to take your ball and go home......just yet.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes