View Single Post
Old 2010-07-07, 01:45 PM
C'est Bon

Re: mkv? what the hell (and an iso question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyrayoll View Post
I am dling something in .mkv format. I know I can play it in VLC but does anyone know if I can data disc burn that stuff to a dvd n then play it om much of anything.

and how about .iso files....burn to a data disc they only play on this weird blu-ray play I have that handles odd codex fine but freaks out on more common file types..
anyone mess with this stuff?
thanks for looking.

.mkv is simply a container for files, generally used when compressing a blu-ray. The compression algorithms are some of the best I have seen as a 46 gig blu-ray M2TS file will look untouched compressed down to 12 gigs. Bottom line...its a compressed Blu-ray.

As far as playing .iso files, you are better off burning them to disc as an image. That way you are not using a raw data file. It should play fine in your standard players after that. If it is a DVD9 and you do not have the capability of burning that, some simple .iso extraction software (I use Power ISO) will allow you to extract the raw files from the .iso image to do with as you please.

Hope that helps!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-funkenstein View Post
The DNC sucks.
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: This post is provided 'as is' for informational purposes only. The OP (Original Poster) does not provide any warranties of any kind regarding any information contained within.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyTaper View Post
There is that unmistakable delicious air of animus wafting throughout the forum this evening
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes