View Single Post
Old 2006-05-23, 04:45 PM

Re: Not Brand Spankin', but Still A Noob...

data cdrs/dvdrs have a certain amount of space reserved for error-correction that audio cds/cdrs don't. also, it is very difficult to test if there is any change in the data, this would necessitate the lengthy process of re-extraction and testing those resulting wavs against the fingerprints included with the original download. the other complication is that the audio cdr doesn't allow the additional files (i.e. txt, artwork, fingerprints) to be on the same disc, so even more time is wasted trying to find that stuff. I have tons of audio cdrs from the old days, about 15% of them are screwed up, and I don't know which are which and have no way to test other than to listen to each disc attentively on headphones all the way through. Some of my discs have deteriorated after only two years, others are still good after six. At least with my data cdrs & dvdrs I can quickly and easily tell which songs are screwed up (if any). plus, there's all the info that came with it in the download and it only takes up half the space.

hook your stereo up to your computer, then you can burn the files that you downloaded and listen any time with no delay with the added benefit of approx double the music on each disc. that will certainly save you some space. DVD-Rs are even better, they've got dual layer DVD burners in my town for $55 last time I checked. Another space saving option is getting an external hd, that is a little more expensive but it is really convenient.

I burn a few of my favorites on audio cdr for personal use in my walkman but mostly I just keep it FLAC. I want to share these shows with other ppl and the correct way to do that without any errors is to keep the FLAC files, not copying audio cdr>audio cdr>audio cdr>audio cdr>audio cdr etc. I like getting the original data files when I trade, and want to give that back to ppl as well. I also like to reseed some shows and also like to keep the files for that as well.

If you want to know how good audio cdrs are for storing music, try burning a FLAC download then see if you can get back the exact FLAC files you started with by re-extracting. By the time you figure out how to get it exactly right you will also realize that storing your music on audio cdrs is not the best strategy.

so I guess the main point is if you hook your computer up to your stereo, your music collection will use about 50% of the audio cdrs (or even less if you go DVD-R), and you will save hours of conversion & burning time, be able to test if your files are okay years down the road and have something that somebody would want to trade you for.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes