View Single Post
Old 2008-09-26, 01:52 PM

Normalizing woth one very high peak

Hello! Just when I thought I had a handle on normalizing, I got thrown a curveball. I taped a band last night in Chicago with my Edirol R-09HR. Got it home and dumped it onto my computer. I have both Sound Forge 5 and Wavelab 3 (yes, I know they're out of date). Anyway, so I EQd the show as one file and got it dialed in where I wanted it. The levels were still too quiet, though, so I was going to normalize it and then burn it. The thing is, there is one spot on the show where there is a weird peak that stands out from the rest (like, if most other peaks are riding around -6db, this is at like -.5db). Consequently, when I normalize, with either peak or RMS, it doesn't boost the levels sufficiently, as it is using this almost-0 peak as the referent. I found a reference to this online, and the person recommended normalizing "around the anomalous peak (i.e. select the file up to the peak and normalize and then select the file after the peak and normalize). This seems like a recipe for disaster to me. I am wondering if anyone can give me advice about how to fix this. I am curious if that Wave Hammer may do the trick, but I've never used it and don't want to compress the whole file, only one tiny peak. I tried using the pencil tool in SF to redraw the wave, but each and every time it was audible and distracting. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes