View Single Post
Old 2006-08-03, 05:02 AM

several questions, need advise!!!

Hi there, well I don't really know how to start I've got several questions...

okay, I'm planning to convert all my audio bootlegs to FLAC and burn them onto DVDR's. I'm only thinkning of my Red Hot Chili Peppers shows at this point so far, it's totally 600+ CDs(i might be wrong and it's even more). I've been told CD-R media doesn't last very long and DVDs have a longer life time, now I'm concerned about my bootlegs as I invested lots of time and money into trading and of course it would be a pain in the ass having 50% of my CDs not working anymore in the next couple of years.

1. does anyone know if this is true and how long cd-r/dvdr media is supposed to last? of course i know it certainly depends on the brand but just as every other trader I do have lots of different brands in my collection(sony, tdk, verbatim, etc.)

2. can anyone recommend me a very good and reliable brand for DVDrs? I'm new into this, just got a DVD burner recently and haven't burned any yet.

3. also I'm new into bittorrents and FLAC, I used to trade the old school way so far. just getting started with bittorrents and having no problems with this at all, i just have a simple question. is there any prog. that can tag FLACs? I mean just as iTunes is tagging mp3s and stuff there must be something else able to tag FLACs!? or not? I'm speaking of naming the tracks and putting info-text on the FLAC files, i guess you know what I mean.

4. how common is Apple Lossless? I know besides of SHN and FLAC apple is having it's own lossless format. of course ituens can tag this. but my question is, does anyone have experience with this format? does any1 know if there is any other software that converts wav into apple lossless besides of itunes? is apple lossless shit or sweet? please let me know

5. what software do you use to convert into Flac? is use dppoweramp. what compress level is recommended, does it matter or not? when converting WAVs I'd like to use the highest comp-level just to let you know. good or no good?

6. did anyone of you do something like this as well, i mean backing up CD-rs on DVDs, not only to prevent losing the data but also to save some room. I do have heaps of CDs and just don't know where to put them anymore.
I know this could take lots of time, months maybe even years to finish backing up as I'll get more and more stuff as well... my plan is to get rid of the cd-rs by doing b&ps or giving them away to friends or something.

@all: any advise would be helpful and is highly appreciated, some of this questions might sound stupid for some of you but please post only if you are willing to help out and not to make jokes out of this

@mods: fell free to move this topic in the correct thread if this is the wrong one

@traders: www.rhcp-trading.de.vu , my page for trading, haven't updated it in more than a year i reckon.

thanks for reading hope to hearing from you
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes