View Single Post
Old 2008-10-14, 09:56 AM

Re: Lossy vs. FM vs. cassette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terabyte23 View Post
Hi folks,

I received several trade CDRs with no source info, and I am trying to determine whether they are lossy. I suspect they came from a mix of sources (AUD > cassette, FM > cassette, FM > digital) but I am not certain. I am using EAC.

I am really interested in the differences between FM and lossy recordings - I find it confusing to determine whether an FM-sourced show appears lossy in FA and SA charts.

I attached a couple of examples generated from EAC. Thanks for any advice.

--t23
Most modern FMs are in fact lossy. They cut hard between 15 and 16 khz, usually. But if it is that hard CO only they are regarded as tradeable. Just like 32 khz DATs. There is no damage below CO.
You should provide a 2sec SA pic also. Shows bad structures much better. But from what you provided: First one has those typical MD structures above CO. And it is not a good one. Cuts below 14 khz. Second one smells like lossy. But, at least I, would need a 2sec SA to be sure about that.
Both don't look like FMs. No 19 khz carrier visible. But not all FMs show this stripe. The second isn't one, almost surely. Cuts above 17 khz. FMs don't cut higher than 16 khz.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes