View Single Post
Old 2021-01-20, 03:21 PM
DeadTrader

Re: Tagging Shows for Network Players

The protocol I use for tagging has to meet a couple of standards. It has to play nice with network and music player software, and keep a good clean file structure. The most important element is the show's wrapping / directory folder. I've based mine from the basic etree structure (Artist)(Date)(source)(sound qual optional)(Venue)(other important info)
I use this info to create tags.
Artist is straight forward to a point, I've gone back and forth on how detailed the artist info should be, ie; Neil Young or more detail by including Group Neil Yong & Cray Horse or Neil Young and International Harvesters etc. I've finally stuck with the basic Neil Young. That way when searching by Artist/Album I can have the whole collection in chronological order, and if I want I can place band info in comments or Band tag.
Album is easy I just use the folder/directory name.
Date always YYYY-MM-DD not just the year. that way you can search for a show on any day of the yr
I try and include venue info but it sometimes gets missed.

For a while I was renaming the files [(Disc)Track] title. But then I'd have to either edit the fingerprint file to match the new track name or just create a new fingerprint. So unless the file names are really weird I leave them alone.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes