Thread: AVI vs DVD
View Single Post
Old 2006-01-09, 09:36 PM

AVI vs DVD

I'm sort of new hear, so don't hate me when you read this. I know how sensitive the trader community is to sound quality and is anti-lossy (for good reason), but I never realized this applied to video as well. I'm assuming a lot of these dvd's (GD in particular) are coming from VHS. Wouldn't it be easier to make them AVI's instead of DVD's? Not just easier, but the same quality, smaller, and a lot quicker to download/upload. I think the sound quality could be the same. If you wanted to make it into a DVD you could author it yourself, or if you have a decent DVD player, you could just burn the AVI's as data files and play them on your TV. When you input the video to the computer, it probably comes in as a huge AVI file, then you are transcoding it to a DVD video format, which is going to be lossy anyway, as far as the video goes. To keep it the same quality as the original VHS, it would be a matter of having a 1 gig torrent versus a 9 gig. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not complaining, just curious. I never new this stuff was even available until a week ago.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes