View Single Post
Old 2005-04-12, 01:33 PM

Re: PAR2 File Creation Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleaguered
I use the following process when doing dvd backups... Make a dvd image (write it to the hard drive, not the dvd yet). Create a par2 recovery file of that image using some multiple of the dvd sector size. Burn the image to dvd. If the dvd goes bad, you can write the disk image back to disk ignoring the bad sectors (using IsoBuster or a similar program) and repair it with the par2 files.

I admit to not having actually tested the recovery process. I should scratch up a disk and restore the image.

My 2¢
You should experiment with your recovery method, but it does sound good in theory. My gut feeling is that sector recovery is a chancy proposition in general. If you use this method (PAR files based on image creation), then I really don't know if I can offer any "timesaving" techniques, other than a fast bus and SATA drives. BTW, IsoBuster has limited functionality in it's "freeware mode". I don't know if "ignore bad sector mode" is included in the free version, but I hate to recommend tools that people need to pay for, if there are free alternatives.

You should let us know about recovery results, and note the time it takes both to create the image, create the PAR's, extract the image and then to repair... my guess is "quite a while"
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes