View Single Post
Old 2006-12-31, 07:54 AM

Re: A bit of help....please

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEPPER
I want to transfer some cassettes to my pc.Do i connect my cassette deck to my pc via the line in on the back of my pc??.
Basically, yes. This would be the easiest way to get your tapes digitized, but don't expect great results. Proper tape digitizing includes playback head azimuth adjustment on the tape deck and using good quality Analog->digital converters, so if you really want to get the best quality out of your cassettes, you could send them to someone who has some experience in tape transferring (unless you are willing to invest in better equipement.)

Anyway, what kind of line-in connectors does your soundcard have? I'd guess 1/8'' miniplug. If that's the case, you'll need an adapter cable that has two RCA jacks on one end (connecting the line-out of your tape deck) and one 1/8'' miniplug jack on the other end(connecting the line-in of your soundcard). That way, you connect your tape deck and the soundcard. Then play a cassette and monitor the levels in your recording program. Make sure that the peaks are well below 0 dB, peaks around -4 dB are ok. Once you have set the levels properly, hit record in the recording program of your computer and then start playing back the cassette. For splitting the long WAV. into individual tracks, CD Wave is the best program, since it cuts on sector boundaries by default.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes