View Single Post
Old 2007-04-26, 05:33 AM
TTD Staff

Re: MacBook Pro for sampling and/or audio editing?

are you looking to just transfer or record shows [2channel stereo only], or do you want true multitrack recording capabilities?

if yer simply looking for 2track recording, you can try Audacity, which i feel is just as good as, if not better than, SF for basic fade-in/fade-out, DC Offset adjust, normalize...and its free:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

i would stay away from running Windoze-based audio progs thru Bootcamp or Parallels, i've heard nothing but issues, plus you bought a Mac for a reason, cuz it does what you want better than Windoze based machines!!!

far beyond just being "on par" with SF [which is basically just a nice looking consumer prog for casual home audio recording], there are numerous higher-end OSX based audio editing/sequencing progs...a few off the top of my head:
ProTools
Apple Logic
MOTU Digital Performer
Cubase

as for your A/D stage, i have no idea about the built-in card/codec...a quick google search turned up alot of latency issues with this card running under Windows XP & Bootcamp...hence why i say leave Windoze and all that alone...you now have a Mac, enjoy it!

if you want a decent 2-channel A/D satge, you could always go with something like the MAudio 410 or the Edirol UA-5 [which i've used on numerous occasions with good results]...there's also Digidesign Mbox2 line, which i believe come bundled with ProTools LE...for full multitrack DAWs, there's alway the Digi002 [or the new 003] as well as numerous other boards, all of which deliver pro level A/D conversion with very nice pre-amps, etc

hope that helps a bit