View Single Post
Old 2005-08-05, 09:35 AM
Non Serviam

Re: Durning a DVD

If you are running Windows (2000 or XP) I would highly recommend against Roxio products for burning archive data DVDs (like your flac and shn files). I burned some DVDs using Roxio 6.x "Platinum Edition" over a year ago, since Roxio Basic came with the Plextor drive I was using at the time,then I got out of trading/torrenting for awhile. When I burned the DVDs, I used all of their settings so that supposedly the DVD would be readable on other (older) DVD players. In the interim, I had several disk crashes, went through some motherboards, etc. When I finally got my computer situation stabilized, I found that the DVDs I burned using Roxio were unreadable, both on my new Sony DRU-800 and on my cheap laptop DVD drive. I bought Nero and it still wouldn't read the Roxio-burned DVDs. I bought DVDInfoPro and it could see the multi-session data, but it could not recover the data. Worse, I wrote Roxio (with valid order# and registratiion key) so that they would reactivate my download link for their product that I paid for, and they refuse to answer my emails. Finally, with disgust, I got my hands on another copy of Roxio Basic, and recovered the data from the DVDs.
Summary: Roxio support is terrible, and it seems Roxio-burned data DVDs can only be read by Roxio (from my experience).
Recommendation: Use Nero (or other), and be careful not to burn multisession (Nero warns you on this).
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes