View Single Post
Old 2013-11-09, 11:05 AM
TTD VIP

Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAF View Post
I'm sure the insurance adjuster hasn't filed a single form yet, if he's made an inspection at all. The photos are shocking as to how destroyed the buildings were.

His point, which is a good one, is that even with this devastation the internet access remained. HC has had no such devastation affect it - its problems are all induced by the behavior, choices and actions of one person (no natural disaster involved?).

Basically the archive lost a $600,000 scanner, and a relatively small part of their print collection that was being scanned. Fortunately the bulk of their print materials are kept in a different building. I don't know if the scanner was insured.

I'm not making light of it at all. IA has always been a fantastic resource for so much media. HC, not so much, but I really don't care about the politics, or it's improprieties. Never gave a dime to them. As with any tracker, it's about the members, and HC has a lot of very good people sharing their stuff freely, which is more than I can say about some other places. Too bad this bad blood had to happen. Oddly, nobody complained about the monthly donations for years and years, just when it went offline.