View Single Post
Old 2013-09-25, 09:02 PM
Bugs

Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
no question that is an interesting topic to explore.

it used to be I'd mail you my list and you'd mail me your list. then we'd work out a tape trade. same tapes / same quantity .. and no high-speed dubbing. right?
but things have certainly changed. this exchange of cash for 'online perks' doesn't really fit the original trader vibe - its smacks more of a business transaction for intangible incentives.

it gets tricky. that's my 2¢

I've been thinking a lot about the gigs for cash thing — which is a transaction, not a donation — and the one thing that jumped out of me is that there are a lot of charities that give you token perks for donating, and the quality and quantity of the perks was commisserate to the amount donated (I'm thinking of PBS pledge drives in particular: donate $10, get a sticker; donate $1000, get the complete Red Dwarf on VHS).

A couple of complications with the system that I saw was the fact that people whose ratios were in the gutter at HC were encouraged to buy their way out the shit-gif; it also appeared that there were people who would join, drop a few hundred bucks, and then leech through their giant purchased ratio without seeding a kilobyte.

If there were a reincation of HC, it would be cool to offer some kind of perk to those who donated that could not be construed as quid pro quo. What that would be, I have no idea.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes