View Single Post
Old 2005-07-15, 11:45 AM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP

Re: What Is A DVD ISO Image?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfloorcracker
OK I have a question somewhat related to all this...

I have been downloading DVD shows here for a few months now and storing them on my HD. (Thanks to all, this site rocks!) I also burn the files to DVD using Nero so I can watch them on my standalone player or computer. Do I need to keep the original files I downloaded if I plan on seeding or trading them in the future or can I just re-extract them from my burned DVDs with a program like DVD shrink? Basically Im wondering if I extract files from the DVD's Ive burned, will those files will be the same as what I originally downloaded.
For me, it's all about md5s. You get md5s of the files you download. After I burn the disc I remake an md5 of the VIDEO_TS contents that I burned and visually compare that with the md5 of the downloaded files. If they're the same then you're all set. When I want to make a copy I drag the VIDEO_TS onto my HD, remake the md5 and reckeck it. If it's the same, again you're all good. I recheck the md5s again after I burn the disc for someone to make sure it burned correctly as well. It's a lot of md5 making but it works for me and doesn't take that much time.