View Single Post
Old 2024-05-02, 04:11 AM

Re: TTD not well.. download strategy to use

Ok, forget what I said about queuing up torrents in your program. I think it's just making the load on the server higher and sometimes crashing it (the tracker is slower to respond too).

xavier242 sent me an email that he's aware the tracker and site is barely alive and that I can't seed the way I used to (with qBittorrent).

From xavier242's messages:
Kudos to U2Lynne for getting the site going if it goes down and the financial support. He has told me he intends to pay her back all hosting costs from Sept 2022 onward.

Please remove torrents older than a month that you have queued. Recent torrents less than 31 days old are ok (he would like the site to remain up if possible).

If you know you can't seed, like no data is ever uploaded, stop those torrents to reduce the load on the tracker.

He's seeking advice on getting a new TTD site created. He wants forums like we currently have, with the ability to attach a torrent file to the first post in a thread. He dislikes posting wizards (most are terrible and/or limiting). The site must not have silly performance issues with modern hardware. He wants it in PHP coded in a traditional manner. vBulletin runs PHP code in database tables from variables. Horrid programming practice IMO.

The tracker must be using a fast compiled language and designed to handle a few million peers at least. High endurance database SSDs will be used for the whole site (hardware RAID1).

As far as hosting, Quickpacket may or may not be the host anymore if he can find a different provider.

He would like to self-host but the prices are still quite high, plus they all have TOS that prohibit torrent sites, even though they are legal per the DMCA/NTD rules. This same paranoia makes it difficult to find a new hosting provider. Outside the USA is not really an option as new laws require sites to be a business or registered non-profit. TTD is neither. Yeah there are a few countries with fewer restrictions, but none of the hosting is affordable.

The old site will still be available, hopefully with the forums fully functional (tracker will be disabled), even if it has to run in a VM. It will be advised to post links to the new TTD site for long running threads.

He's not been posting much, just emails to me. He's been battling serious health issues (from getting COVID19 in Jan 2020) and may have to declare bankruptcy soon. Despite the pain, he still works every day except Sunday and trying to find some solutions. He used to be a proud Engineer in many disciplines and fitness guru and now has a long commute to a Production line job. The heath issues have ruined his body and taken away his love of music. He still cares for the memories of loving music, your appreciation and love of live music, and hopes for a better future.

A friend here has a script to help seed TTD in an alternative manner. I sent a PM and trying to get a copy of it that may give me a head start. If it's doing what I think it's doing, it places not much load on the server. I may be able to adapt it for others to use.

Datahound
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes