View Single Post
Old 2007-05-26, 12:30 PM

Re: What are Site Admins allowed to do with donations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh

1. why is his recording at your site - with a free ratio ..when you sell ratio credits?

2. selling ratio credits = selling boots (imo)

3.donations for recording equipment is a unique idea... im only curious how it pans out.

just a few questions.. nothing more to it. I enjoy all the sites.

======
and yes I change my posts often.. so always give me a few..it takes time for me to get the thoughts right
sorry I missed these questions in your initial post, I hadn't read it sinice you edited.

1. all of the new smashing pumpkins shows released that are uplaoded to our site are set to be ratio free. this was a decision I made a few weeks back. It was to celebrate the bands return.

2. we don't sell credits. we do not sell anything. there are no buy now buttons and at no point is any sale implied. we accept donations. if the site wants, it will give people a free gift of bytes on their upload stats. we reserve the right not to do this. do people usually receive the bonus, yes. I also give bytes (or remove bytes from peoples download stats) to people all of the time, who have not donated. we don't ban people who have a bad ratio, people can always connect and share on our tracker. but the bonus bytes do help people have a positive ratio which seems to be a reflection of their self image. but the credits are not neccessary to share music on our website.

3. i honestly don't see the issue with it, especially since its a site that is about sharing music. I am positive I am not the only person who has asked for donations for recording equipment. Its a big www. And I'm sure others who have did not have such language used against them, and they were likely given words of encouragement. regardless, our website is very excited about this, there has been alot of words of encouragement, and it will move foreward. I cannot guarantee, and can just about guess, that the initial recordings will be crap. The budget gear (minidisc - sony ecm717/719) can give good results if used properly. Its by no means professional, and its not meant to compete with anyone. Only to ad more sources to the scene, to enhance our own sites releases, and to give back to the community. Its a positive thing, and by no means should be viewed negatively, as there is no competition insinuated, planned, or wanted. we've managed to coexist for years (zomb torrents has been up since 2003) with no issues.