View Single Post
Old 2006-05-23, 11:19 AM

Re: Not Brand Spankin', but Still A Noob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
another important point is that "audio cdrs" (the kind that works in a "normal" cd player) is not a reliable way to archive your audio accurately. so you will want to keep a copy of the original FLAC files (or SHN/APE) and only use "audio cdrs" (the kind that EAC recognizes as multiple tracks) for personal use, for listening on your stereo or car.

of course you can do whatever you wish, but take my word for it you will want to keep a copy of the data files (FLAC) for the future and do not rely on normal "audio cdrs" for reliable storage.
I'm fairly new to this BT myself and have seen this mentioned a few times. Can you maybe explain a little more about the unreliability of audio cdr's? I started using only Taiyo-Yuden blanks because I thought they would be reliable. Should I not bother with the extra cost of T-Y since they might not last? What is the expected reliable life?

Do you archive FLACs for burning another cdr when the first fails or for future uploading? Don't worry, I know better than to convert my cdr's back to FLAC to upload in the future.

I will confess that so far I have gambled and not archived my FLAC's because the wife and I are living in very cramped quarters now (even worse next month when her son gets out of jail and moves in again!) .

I still am trying to figure out how to store just the cdr's I'm burning! I realize at some point a dvd burner would be ideal for FLAC archiving but even then space would be an issue.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes