View Single Post
Old 2011-04-16, 11:33 AM

De-clicking/popping/distorting

So I'm about as newb as it gets when it comes to taping, but I've visited this site and Dime many times over the years and taken far too much without giving back. I was at a store the other week that had the Zoom H1 on sale and I figured what the heck? It's small and looked easy to use and I had a couple shows lined up to see, so I figured I'd finally take the plunge and give something back to the community.

I brought the Zoom H1 to the Old 97's and used the internal mics. I got a pretty decent recording, at least to my ears. The separation of instruments is surprisingly good and the vocals are clear. One problem, however, is with the gradual crowd thrust towards the stage, I ended up very close to the right PA speaker. As the show progressed, the volume increased, and there are various points in each song, especially towards the end as the band really pummelled through the final songs, that several pops and loud clipping distortions happen that in my opinion really degrade the quality of the listening experience.

I've been trying to run it through Cool Edit Pro's noise reduction and click/pop eliminator this morning but to no avail. The overall sound suffers while the pops and distortion are virtually unaffected. I've attached a jpeg of part of the waveform and highlighted a selection, and within that selection, the points where this clipping occurs. I don't know if it tells anyone anything but I figured it's better than an even more long winded explanation. Is there a good way to fix this or am I wasting time on a lost cause?

Any help is much appreciated.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Distortion Points.jpg
( 207.4 KB, 63 views)

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes