View Single Post
Old 2005-11-02, 10:42 PM
TTD Staff

Computer suddenly has a cut in internet speed.

About a month ago, I was browsing on the internet and I lost the connection. That was on my iMac. My PC was fine. I thought that was weird but unplugged the cable and plugged it back in and I was fine. That happened about five or six times in the last month until today. Today, when I went to unplug/plug it back in, it wouldn't come back.

For the last couple of days, when I've been been downloading (on the mac), I've noticed that my upload/download has suddenly reduced. I've especially noticed it when trying to just seed - there will be several people needing to download, but even though I have the computer set to upload at max, it is only uploading at about 1/10 of what I know it can. And, that is at max, it goes from 0 to max and back again.

Anyway, when it wouldn't come back today until I rebooted, I finally did a speed test and was told I was downloading at 280 kb/s and uploading at 180 kb/s. I did the same test (right after) on my PC and got a download of 2.5 Mb/s and an upload of 480 kb/s. I can also see on my hub that I am not 'connecting'.

Yes, I've tried other (manual) IPs. Yes, I've tried plugging directly into the internet (without the hub). Yes, I've repaired permissions (hardly any had to be done). Yes, I've tried Safari and IE, too (I normally use firefox). I've done everything except a clean install, which is what I will do tomorrow.

I've just never heard of something like this before and I'm baffled.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes