View Single Post
Old 2008-07-18, 03:26 AM

Re: Firewall and Fios

My setup now:
line-in > Actiontec > Motorola > PC

I can try dropping the Motorola but I don't see what that will do for me since I didn't have a problem with it before. Maybe because my old Comcast connection went through a Motorola cable modem and not another router. I guess that could be it. I didn't see the two router tutorial but I will look that up.

This line confuses me:
"Then put the other router in, change the IP in the Actiontec to be the Motorola router and then put the PC IP into the Motorola router."

I'm not concerned with improving speeds or anything like that, but if I'm firewalled I'm not connectable to 75% of the peers out there. And 9 times out of 10 they're the ones left at the end of a torrent. And torrent sites are all about ratios now. That being the case you'd think firewall info would be a first topic banner at the top of each page but it's buried under wacky headings like Technobabble. Education is key. Don't believe me? Pick any torrent on this site. Any one. Somewhere during it's thread someone is asking for a seed while there are still seeds available. And they'll be asking because they're firewalled and don't even know it. They see the seed in their client but can't connect and don't know why. So they figure he's not upping and we'll just get someone else in here.

So it just seems obvious to me that since the most important aspect of torrenting is firewalls, it would be the most important topic at torrent sites. But it's never mentioned. I'm not busting on just you guys, I'm generalizing out of frustration with this router (and my lack of basic knowledge). But I am generalizing accurately. I can't think of any torrent site that promotes smart torrenting. Just ratios.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep trying and if I can figger it out I'll let you know. I tried contacting mudshark88 who had a similar configuration but he's swapped out network cards and is stuck behind a firewall again too. Thought he might be able to help with this router.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll keep you posted on what I figure out.

Ro-Ro
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes