View Single Post
Old 2009-01-06, 05:22 PM

Re: What computer hardware/software to use to get cassete to computer?

The HD-P2 can be bought for under $500 used, I think it sells for $800 new or somewhere in the ballpark. It's not far off from the alesis and doubles as a field recorder.

I did a few tests when I first got the hd-p2
I ran nak cr-5a > emu 1212M vs a cr-5a > HD-P2

I can definetly hear a difference for sure. Now keep in mind it's not as big a difference as say going from a crap stock card to a 200 dollar card, but if you want the most you can capture, you get the best you can. There are tons of transfers out there done on mediocre equipment that are just stellar. I just tend to be a lil OCD and like to make that tape transfer as good and as close to the original as I can. It's all about what you feel is required and doing what you can with your budget. If you can afford the high end, why not do it. If you can't work to at least get good stuff. Two of my Naks I got for free on craigslist

If you ever want to do a comparison, transfer a tape on your equipment, then send it to me and I'll transfer on mine. We can post samples and see who can pick what sample came from what lineage. Would be a fun experiment. I would be curious to see myself
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes