View Single Post
Old 2007-08-30, 05:55 PM
Tubular

Re: Foobar2000 SHN > FLAC Conversion: A Visual Guide

There are tons of shows that circulate with sector boundary errors (SBEs), and they get reseeded all the time unchanged. The only reason for this that I can think of is that everyone is afraid to change the original data. For those who are experienced it is not much of a problem, they do a len check before burning a CD. But for those new to trading and torrenting lossless, they waste a lot of CD-Rs and experience a lot of frustration (was it the burn? did I not do it right? was it my download? just WTF is going on?) before they find out how to fix it (if they ever find out how). And it is all because there is no accepted, standard way to fix them, and people are hesitant to mess with history and the original data. This hesitation and reticence is a big loss to the community IMO.

The same can be said for converting SHN to FLAC. What if in 5 years most universal Blu-Ray/DVD/CD/MP3 players supported FLAC? Everyone's FLAC data discs could also be played back on their disc players, but none of their SHN discs could. So unseekable, SBE filled, header issue ridden SHNs should still be traded in 50 years just to preserve the original fileset? Give me a break. Here is a list of players that currently support FLAC (not SHN): http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes