View Single Post
Old 2006-05-25, 05:37 PM
PyRo UK

Re: Flac Problems! Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I would do as inside-eye suggested and download Traders Little Helper and see if your problems go away then. TLH is an all-in-one program for the PC that will decompress your shn, flac, and ape files and it has shntool built in also. It's the only program you will need for all your lossless compression/decompression. The link is in our Software FAQ.
I've also found a program called "Multi Frontend". It looks quite similar to the FLAC Frontend, but can convert between every format I've ever heard of, and more! The atached picture displays every format listed in the drop-down menu.
Although it can convert between every format, it doesn't have that many variables. There are very customisable tagging options but for eg: LAME encoding, there are just 3 preset qualitys.
Also, you have to get the codecs yourself. I do this by downloading a format's official frontend, then stealing the codec and placing it in MultiFrontend's directory.

All in all, its not the best program to get if you don't have any need for such obscure codecs, but I find it useful. I can download a FLAC file, and then encode it straight to LAME in one go to put on my Zen (which is currently away for replacement RIP). And if I download any of those troublesome Ogg files, I can convert them straight to FLAC, without the need to convert to WAV, walk away, come back, and then convert to FLAC manually. Intermediate WAV files are created and deleted without the need to be there (There's also the option to do "on the fly" encoding if you want it super quick).
I downloaded some MPC's the other day, and had no idea what to do. So I stuck the MPC codec file in, and converted it all to FLAC and LAME. Simple as that.

I like this program for similar reasons to FireFox, you can do whatever you want with it, just stick in the new piece and you're off!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes