View Single Post
Old 2008-02-16, 12:04 AM
Tubular

Re: What speed do you burn you cds at?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-R

Quote:
Burn speed can also affect the compatibility due to worse jitter on disks recorded at higher speeds; selecting a slower speed can improve compatibility, especially for CD-DA. However, for writing some burners may not perform best at their lowest speed, and may not perform best on all discs at the same speed; each burner/media combination has an optimal speed which is most likely a lower rather than higher speed but can only be certainly known by testing that combination at different speeds (using disc checking software such as that which reports C1/C2 errors to compare the quality of readable discs.).

Quality of writing matters: better recorders are capable of producing better burned discs with a better lifespan (and vice versa), and writing at lower speeds tends to produce burned discs with better lifespan than writing at higher speeds.[citation needed] This is partly because of the nature of the transparent error correction embedded in the Compact Disc system and extended in CD-ROM (Yellow Book): disc written faster may have more correctable errors at inception. These errors, being correctable, are undetectable to the user in normal reading, but they use up some of the damage tolerance which the error correction system provides, so it is less able to compensate for future damage. Therefore, it takes less degradation of the dye layer to use up all of the error correction capability on the disc, and thus less time before uncorrectable errors appear (visible to the user in normal reading.)
I always burn at a mid range speed, usually 8X for CDs, and 4X for DVDs. Less possible errors this way, and saving time doesn't usually matter to me as I usually don't burn tons of discs in a row.

Last edited by Tubular; 2008-02-16 at 12:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes