View Single Post
Old 2005-04-16, 03:11 PM

Icon4 dvdr trading formats/standards discussion ?

im new to the traders den but certainly not new to trading, so hello all.

ive recently received a few dvdrs in trades that are not in the same format as the original torrent seeds on this site. i.e. the files (IFO,BUP,VOB) on the discs are not the same names and or sizes. Most didn't even have md5's or txt files either (BUT thats another secondary point to be dealt with).

From what i can gather someone along the line has simply dropped the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder into some dvd software and re-authored the dvd. For those of you who understand what im talking about this means that the (IFO,BUP,VOB) files are not the same as the original (1 title sequence has become 7 in one case. 1 title sequence for each original vob in the source). In other words content has stayed the same but the show has been physically changed. This is analogous to taking a SHN show and rearranging the track boundaries and then trading it again (without the text file and md5's to boot).

Theres absolutely no way this would be an acceptable practice in trading SHNs

Sooo, is there a document somewhere that covers these things (i.e how to properly copy a dvd) or is this something that we need to put together ? I would be more than willing to do this but i need to make sure that im not duplicating efforts other places. If we do put together a document, we can also put together specific instructions for properly copying dvds using specific brands of software, depending on what people are using.

It benefits us ALL to help make sure that everyone is aware of the proper way to copy these shows.

Suggestions, solutions, pointers to this information already ?
Thanks !

BP

(sorry if this has already been covered but i did a search and couldn't come up with any hits on this subject. )
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes