View Single Post
Old 2007-05-07, 04:46 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer

Unhappy Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

Baby with the bathwater. Exactly.
Discounting a perfectly good PERFORMANCE because it was recorded on something you don't like sucks.
It never makes sense to step down a recording to mp3 if it was cd/wav quality. If that option doesn't exist, an mp3 is not that different than a type 1 cassette recorded 30 years ago. Nagra reel recorders seem to show a spectral freqency graph like a MiniDisc. I'm a believer in cassette masters, but I know some tapes I've dealt with had shit for frequency response above 12000, nevermind the 15000 that an mp3 cuts off at. So you should ban my cassette ReMaster by those standards. Where does one draw the line?
Quality should be important, but putting quality above performance is wrong. Look, to me unless it's DVD audio quality or 24bit/96kHz, everything is lossy in digital versus a good clean audiophile analog signal path.
As our technologies baby step up to where they really should be, we have to allow old school stuff to exist, or we will turn our backs on the music we love.