View Single Post
Old 2007-05-07, 09:21 AM

Re: Are mp3 master recordings allowed @TTD???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifH12345
You don't seem to understand. In this situation, the MP3 is like the cassette in the tape deck. It wasn't saved that way, it was re-recorded if you will, and saved as wav, then converted to flac and posted. There was no quality lost in the transferring and MP3 files were never involved.
I am with you to a certain extent......I think we may be out of phase a little bit in what we (you and I) actually agree and disagree on.

--I think that mp3's should be allowed as long as it is the only known source of the show.

--I think that IFmp3's are ever to be allowed there needs to be a way (fingerprinting or checksums or something) to verify an mp3 file as the original, unadulterated mp3 file. I am not swift enough to know how to do this. I think it would be obvious that any show recorded before say 1993 or so would have had little if any chance of having originated as an mp3 file. Maybe there should be a date requirement that states something to the effect of:

Any show taped after 2002 that was recorded as mp3 will be allowed provided it was recorded originally as 320kbps.

--I completely agree with this site's dedication to a more pristine audio pool. I think if TTD ever does decide to allow mp3 MASTERS there should be stringent controls and strict enforcement of bitrate and purity standards.

--If mp3's are ever allowed it should only be segregated to a different section of the traders den. An mp3 masters section with dedicated mods to monitor for bogus posts and sub standard technical requirements. Also, an approved method for packaging the file to protect the integrity of the performance should be adopted and strictly enforced.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes