View Single Post
Old 2005-08-28, 10:28 AM
Sleeping Colorless Green Ideas
TTD VIP

Re: Audio Video Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman
If I remember correctly premiere will not use .vob. I know Vegas doesn't. I think DVD Lab is one of the few that does. I would demultiplex the .vob to .m2v and .wav to use. This will NOT cause any degradation of the quality.
Since he's a newbie - he should know that there's a good chance that he'll end up with .mv2 and .ac3 files after demuxing - and not a .wav file. Just depends on what's on the DVD.

Also - much of the advice given here is based on assumption that the new audio is the exact same length as the old audio. If VHS tapes are involved - the chances are next to nil that they are the same. The audio will have to stretched or downsized to match. This is very tricky business because after making the adjustment in an audio editor, it rewrites the audio file and *can* add some funky noises to the audio. I've developed a method for stretching the audio that works really well and doesn't require that the wave be re-written. But it's extremely tedious and time consuming. Also - even if you know you simply need to stretch/downsize the audio by 3 seconds and you do this in an audio editor - even that can be problematic because with some recordings there will be stretches that are out of synch, and some that are in synch. So if you simply stretch/downsize the audio universally by 3 seconds - you'll still have portions that aren't perfectly synched.

Randy
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes