View Single Post
Old 2008-09-15, 03:18 PM
TTD Staff

Re: Traders Den Sharing Standards (Video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2rulesmyworld View Post

I havent seen one valid argument in this thread against Divx or H264, people just regurgitate the 'lossy' argument or the 'dvd is what everyone is familiar with' argument
1. of course mpeg2 is lossy, all video is lossy! the deal w/ DivX is that, you have such wide range of quality based on codecs/settings--that range from DVD-like quality down to youtube-looking shite...to moderate that here in order to assure nothing but the best would be far too much work...and i challenge you to show an example of SD material converted using DivX that looks better than high bitrate mpeg2, as you said

2. whether you like it or not -- the mpeg2 format IS the standard world-wide, not just something "everyone is familiar with"...while DivX is a word i bet 98% of the world has never heard of...whether or not you have a problem with mpeg2 ain't really gonna change it now is it?

3. as has been pointed out, h.264 is now allowed here for HD content [not SD>h.264]...so we aren't locked to mpeg2 by any means...but we aren't gonna be a smorgasboard either

4. just because you have the money/knowledge to set up a media center and stream various format video files from yer comp to yer TV doesn't mean everyone else does...and although this might change one day down the road, the fact is someone like yerself is still the vast minority...the rest of the world uses DVD