View Single Post
Old 2010-02-17, 03:05 PM

Re: Advice Needed from DIY PC builders or overclockers

[Update] btw...thanks again to everyone who's tried to help!

Since the popular consensus was to do a fresh install I picked up an OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB to use as a boot drive and for apps. This way I can mess with this new build while still having a functional machine. Once it's up and running and OC'd stable I'll move the 2 Seagates over to use as a storage array running RAID-1.

Got Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit installed and updated last night...there's nothing else on the machine so I decided now would be the time to mess around with overclocking (which I know VERY little about). Using the Easy Tune app just for sh*ts and giggles I bumped the processor to 3.2Ghz without an issue.
[ @Saltman ] ...I'm pretty sure the beep I'm getting is normal. It's just one short beep at POST then all seems to boot just fine.
Where I'm really lost is the RAM...the BIOS shows it at 800Mhz, but it's DDR2-9200 and is rated at 1150 (many have reported 1200+) but I'm not sure what things to tweak in order to increase FSB and RAM. It seems changing the CPU Host Frequency accomplished the higher GHz for the CPU, but it's my understanding that unless the RAM is tweaked as well, I may actually be slowing things down.
Here's a link for RAM specs: http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...pc_4gb_edition

Since I haven't yet installed any benchmark tools on this machine I just ran the 'Windows Experience Rating' to see how this new setup compares with my old Dell...not too bad I suppose...6.9 as it sits...my Dell only got a 4.9.

I know that's not the same as using Everest or PCMark, I just wanted to see the difference. Although I'm baffled as to why the lowest score (the 6.9) was for my HDD...it's an SSD and not a slow one so it should have gotten a pretty high score.

Any additional info or direction is greatly appreciated. I've joined a couple of OC forums, but some of those guys are getting way more into than I think I want be. I'd just like to push it as far as it can go while remaining stable...maybe 3.8-4.0 on the processor with the RAM running at it's most efficient level. Mobo is to be capable of up to a 1600Mhz FSB...chip is 1066 and RAM mentioned above...should be the ingredients for a decent machine....???

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks guys.