View Single Post
Old 2008-12-31, 11:34 AM

Playback issues on WD My Book

Howdy all,

I've poked around for an answer to this and can't seem to find anything...maybe someone here can shed some light on my problem...?

I have really close to 1TB of shns and flacs stored on a WD My Book 2TB Edition in a Raid 1 configuration. Early on I didn't seem to have any issues playing back music directly from the drive, but now when I initiate playback of anything, it is plagued by intermittent pauses (maybe every 30-45 seconds).
The drive still has about 60GB Free Space, is Defragged on a bi-weekely basis, etc. It's connected via firewire directly to a Dell XPS410 with a Core2 Duo processor running XP Home.
If I move the folder to another external drive...no pauses...same if I move the folder to the internal drives (2 750GB in RAID-1). This device had always bothered me in that you can't turn off the 'sleep' mode, but even after it spins up I sill get the pauses during playback. Burning discs off the drive works fine.

It sucks because the thing was rather expensive and the reason I got it was to have access to my library without digging for the backups...

-Perplexed