Thread: Mp3 or Not???
View Single Post
Old 2005-03-04, 01:21 PM

Re: Mp3 or Not???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
I have never seen any nr plug that creates those square shapes at the top of the spectrum. Bad nr can sometimes resemble the straight cutoff of CBR but the lego city stairstep look in these shots has to be lossy. It looks almost like MD compression (altho I don't think that's it either). Maybe AAC? It looks a little like this, too:
There's definitely something rotten going on but it's the stair step pattern of the high end roll off on the Analfreq (the name killed my kids BTW) and Audacity FAs that intrigues me. I've seen this phenomenon on several shows that *claim* to be from silvers (a recent Hendrix boot on Usenet comes to mind) and I have never been able to replicate it with any of the lossy encoders at my disposal. My experience of AAC is that you tend to get a typically steep and almost complete drop at the top end of the spectral analysis, around 16kHz and then a little island of frequencies after that, whose range and depth is determined by the bitrate at which the AAC was encoded.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes