Thread: Firewalled
View Single Post
Old 2006-09-11, 11:16 PM
TTD Staff

Re: firewalled

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopOttin
well, I have the local ip set as static and I have gone through port forwarding on my router to that address. I'm getting typical download speeds at 175 kB/sec but my upload is for sh*t though at 6kB/sec.
Well, if you are using all of your 'pipe' for downloading, it doesn't leave much room for uploading. That is why people like to 'cap' (put a limit on) the maximum speed for uploading and downloading. My max upload is about 52, so at night (when I don't need to use the computer), I cap it at about 48 if I am also downloading. My max download speed is somewhere around 300, so I cap it at about 220.
Quote:
I don't think my router is static yet. Again, my router is a Netgear WGR614v6 for reference. On the basic settings page, I was unable to deselect "Get Dynamically From ISP" and select "Use Static IP Address" under INTERNET IP ADDRESS because it came up with the external address autofilled but not the DNS field. I could enter a number in the DNS that wouldn't wreck my connection to the internet. I couldn't enter my internal address info into those fields without wrecking my connection either.
I believe this is where you are going wrong. You need to turn DHCP off. It is the IP that your router assigns to your computer that you want to be static. It looks like you are trying to play with the External IP - that needs to stay dynamic (or however your ISP likes it - most likely dynamic).
Quote:
I went to LAN IP SET UP under advanced settings. There was a box there that said "Use router as dhcp server" which I was unable to uncheck without wrecking my internet connection. The best I think I was able to do was reserve an ip address under that menu heading.
That is the one you need to uncheck. The reason it is screwing you up after you uncheck it is because you haven't done anything to your *computer* to give it a static IP. There are two steps here - give your computer a static IP and then tell your router you are using a static IP and tell it what ports to forward for it.

For your computer (assuming you use XP): http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
For your router: http://portforward.com/english/route...6/Utorrent.htm

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes