View Single Post
Old 2005-03-04, 01:19 PM
Renegade Geek

Re: Track transition problems - I feel foolish...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this first, but here are the methods I would take to determine what is causing this problem. First of all, my gut tells me that you have tracks with SBEs on them....also, I'd bet no one has reported them because only few people actually listened, listened closely enough to hear them, and actually know to look for something like that. You wouldn't believe the amount of stuff I get with skips between the tracks that people just "didn't notice".

Anyway, do each of these things and let me know what happens:

1. Run a sector boundary check using one of the 4 methods posted by Five above. Let me know if there are sector boundary errors on any of the tracks.

2. Play the original files you downloaded, undecoded and unburned, using foobar2000 and let me know if the files playback smoothly or if the same rough transitions are between the tracks.

3. Decode the original files to wav. Open a track where a rought transition is spotted on a wav editing program and zoom all the way in to the end. Also zoom all the way in on the beginning of the next track. Let me know if there is any silence located near the transition point.

4. Extract the audio from one of the flawed discs using EAC. Do the same exercise a step 3 with these extracted files. This will let us know if something was changed during the burning process or if the problem was there originally.

As a footnote, your question isn't stupid at all. Fact is, you have to be vigilant as a trader to spot these things, and know how to figure out the source. There are many lazy traders, even here on TTD, who will simply miss this and seed stuff anyway. Please let me know if you have trouble with any of the steps listed above. We'll get to the bottom of this before you waste and more blank CDRs....promise.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes