View Single Post
Old 2005-05-10, 06:04 AM

transfers from hi-fi vhs tape

I have quite a few VHS Hi-FI hispeed masters from 15-20 years ago I want to transfer to the digital domain many of which will be good torrent material. This collection includes u2 and alot of other classic oldies as well. Most are from TV simulcast broadcasts. Many from early MTV days.

I have a good capture card, dvd-lab Pro, Pro-Tools, and Cool-Edit which should be sufficient to aid in good capture and re-mastering. I want these to end up with the best possible audio and video. I know simply capturing audio and video in one pass through the video capture card may result in unecessary mpeg encoding of audio and loss of quality.

I was thinking of doing two passes one for video and the other for audio straight to Pro-Tools, then re-synching in DVD-Lab Pro where I would make menus, etc. This would also give me audio only tracks for audio only torrents.

I am looking for any and all information to educate myself in performing these transfers. I do not wish to play these older tapes any more times than necessary so I want to get it right the first time.

Can anyone point me to some resources for this? I am not looking for anyone to perform the transfers for me... no way would I ever let these tapes out of my hands, sorry.

Any advice or instruction would be greatly appreciated, however.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes