View Single Post
Old 2011-01-30, 03:54 AM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High
Re: The challenges of figuring out how to download from binary newsgroups

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpsichord View Post
You might want to check out Binsearch
I already use binsearch, but thanks for the advice.

I guess what I meant to say was that I sometimes get crazy from all the abbreviations used in those 'news' groups. Let say you want to search for .... Neil Young. If you do a subject/filename search or even do a body search for that matter (when people include a NFO file) on those two words you'll get all the subjects containing those two words. That is what you have requested for. But I have noticed that a lot of people posting in these groups tend to use a lot of abbreviations. So they might use the abbreviation NY for Neil Young. So if you search for NY you'll get all the subjects cointaining the word NY, which for some people stands for an abbreviation for Neil Young, but for others I might be an abbreviation for New York or something else. Other people omit vowels. So Neil Young is abbreviated to nlyng. Then there are people who use some kind of numeral system like [123/456]. My on this abbreviation hard on is that it has something to do with the numbers of characters used for a file name. On a torrent site like this one people use a more normal way of spelling. But searching for interesting stuff on the internet in general is a bitch (and takes up a lot of time too) period.