Thread: trojan?
View Single Post
Old 2006-03-28, 02:31 PM
We only have one song

Re: trojan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman
I have heard it is bad to use more than one firewall or more than one antivrus at the same time (installed on the same machine). But I don't have any facts to back that up nor technical reasons.
Double firewalls do take some extra configuration, and is probably unnecessary. As for AVs, I've got both Avast & NOD 32 working on mine. No problems and everything is tip top. Though Norton won't play well with others. If there is a conflict with multiple AVs running, I haven't discovered it with these two.

Quote:
I used to LOVE zonealarm.. but be careful now it is often bundled with their AV which sucks... and the whole interface sucks after that point. Do they still offer just a firewall?
Yep firewall still free and readily available at the Zone Alarm site. The free one should be totally adequate for most people. I have tried the 'Pro' version and found that was more than I really needed, but it can't hurt to try that after you're comfortable with the ZA settings some. I've heard their AV is pretty good as I know a few people that run the bundle (firewall combined with the AV), but I haven't tried that one. To each their own. As a matter of fact, the Avast interface sucks too. Works great, but looks stupid.

Quote:
I would also add that IMO Norton AV doesn't suck. It is great for a non technical user. It does have a tendency to take over ones computer similar to how quicktime does in terms of file association control, etc... However, It can be controlled and I think it works pretty good. There are virii that specifically target Norton and shut it down. But they also target many others. Whatever you do don't use Black Ice that would be my only statement. I do find that Norton Internet Security (the firewall program) sucks. The interface sucks and also the technical abilities of the firewall itself.
I totally HATE how QT takes over and installs all kinds of extra crap! I think I've removed it like 5 times just because I've wanted to keep mem usage down and I've noticed tonnes of junk (like itunes which I don't use and mDNSResponder which is part of their crap!), only to get it reinstalled because I'm hooked on the Apple movie trailer site.

Quote:
Spybot and Ad-Aware are excellent programs and can be used in conjunction with each other. Amazingly so I have found that Microsoft's Adware program ( which is free) is excellent also. It will find many things that neither of the above will. I guess they bought it from someone who knew what they were doing.
Or maybe they make the spyware too! Then they make a program (possibly the only one) that can detect and beat it! Then once everyone is hooked using it, they begin selling a subscription service to it at crazy expensive prices that nobody can afford to pay! Eventually anarchy breaks out! The streets are full of chaos and a virtual plaque of madness is rampant everywhere! The machine breaks down and mankind is thrown into another dark age!!!

Hey you guys voted for Bush twice, so like anything is possible.