View Single Post
Old 2006-01-07, 11:04 AM

Re: Speeds negligible with BT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadu
1. Buying a router for $10 will help forward/unfirewall your computer.

2. Do a speed test on the NET. Just search for bandwidth test

3. You're on a 3mb connection...or you get 3 megs up/down. Which is 3000kb
or 24,000 kbs/sec. I would assume you're ona 3 meg backbone...meanig 6kb isn't all that bad cause you wouldnt get more that 400 at the very most.

4. Do you live in Canada?

5. Look @ www.dslreports.com and look for your ISP. There are reports of ISP's throttling speeds. Check to make sure you're ISP isn't one of them....Mine is one of them but there are ways around it.

6. good luck, let us know
1. Why would adding another link to the chain (router) help to get less blocked?
2. 2.8 megabits per second
3. Honestly 6kb isn't all that bad? Please... Like I said, I'm not new to this. I know what speeds are respectable. I'd take somewhere in the 200s... heck, 100 would be good right now. 6kb IS all that bad. I used to get over 1000 at work (yes, over 1000). 6kb (max) allows me to download about 100mb in weeks, not days or hours. In any event, I want to get the problem fixed.
4. I don't live in Canada.
5. I've called my ISP and they said they block nothing, and any problem I'm having is on my end. I asked about BT specifically. I think the guy said that he had some torrents going at the moment, and there are no blocks on that.
6. Thanks, I hope to be able to get this worked out. Thanks for your help.

NAT check said only this: "Could not contact TCP server 2 (tears.lcs.mit.edu at 18.26.4.77". I don't know what it means, so if there's someone to explain, please do.
As I said above, I do not think I am yellowed. Using G3 Torrent, I'm not sure where precicely to look, but what I believe is the indication of that is in fact green.

Thanks again for your help.