View Single Post
Old 2005-08-09, 12:21 PM
TTD VIP

Re: Standards for Naming Torrent Folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by guygee
............There may be many versions of the same show out there, and we can't give them all the same folder name. That is why I posted on this topic at all, to try and get some consensus on how to do this.

One problem with using the torrent site/thread number ID is that the original seeder doesn't know what will be assigned until they seed, so they can't use it to ID their show, and everyone else would have to add it. It would be a nice feature of the tracker if some unique ID could be tacked onto the folder name, to forever "stamp" that torrent as being "version x downloaded from site y".

etree has versioning, zappateers has some form of it, and I've seen some people using some other versioning system (in some info files i've seen something like "please use LLB #715 to identify this show", I can't remember if it is LLB(?) or something else, I need to look that up again and look into it further).

Tapers don't have to worry about it, if they only listen to their own Master shows or only trade first gen with their taper friends, right? But if they trade freely, then they should be concerned too! With their special knowledge and the experience with music quality they "should" have gained by taping, I would think that a "good" taper would be most concerned of all.

Concerned???

As a taper who started in the 60's, the one thing I learned many years ago is that once a tape has left my hands, it doesn't matter what my wishes or concerns are.

Once a tape has left a taper's hands, it's in "public domain" now.

And "public domain" is what causes there to be the "many versions" (especially of the same recording) that is mentioned in the above posting.

These "many versions" now run the gamut from torrents posted by "good seeders" trying to be meticulous with torrent details (as seen in this thread) all the way to the type of collecting mentality that values quantity over quality and allows for falsifying lineage/pedigree (quite prevalent on a few torrent sites).

I will be following this discussion with great interest.

"Many versions" -- indeed...
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes