View Single Post
Old 2007-04-01, 02:18 PM
Non Serviam

Re: firewalled and ports blocked...why so many? challenge U 2 open them!

Good post Archival, it is a point that cannot be repeated enough. Don't let the comedians above bother you, they forget they aren't in The Lounge. I think Lynn's idea of putting up the nasty FIREWALLED sign is a big eye-opener for the lazy. The tracker once got a little confused and put that sign under my name, it was like having a red tarantula tattooed on my face. I quickly took action, made sure I wasn't really firewalled, then stopped and restarted all of my torrents to make the damn thing go away.

Right now dime is listing Firewalled rate: 40%, so it isn't as bad here as it could be.

Universities used to be great, you could even get Internet II speeds, but then the jack-booted Network Nazis stepped in on most campuses. I once personally knew a student who had her network privileges taken away because she downloaded a BT-ed patch from Microsoft! Yes, MS once used BT to distribute an emergency patch, and due to the strict "No BT" policy at this particular University, she was temporarily banned. It took 2 weeks of arguing with the Network Nazis to get her privileges restored. A student without access to the University network resources is seriously screwed, so trying to bypass the firewall just isn't worth the risk for some people.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes