View Single Post
Old 2007-05-07, 05:07 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer

Re: Question regarding speed/pitch correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
I am a newbie to the world of speed correction, and since there are plenty of great shows out there that simply didn't run correctly, I took it upon myself to try and fix them for public consumption. I used Goldwave recently to slow down a short Mogwai show from 1997, for example, that ran too fast.

I slowed it down to 98.5% (-2.5) on the scale until the pitch of the song, "New Paths to Helicon 1," matched that of the original recording and live shows. I've been told I have perfect pitch; the only problem is my understanding of musical theory is a bit shoddy. I can tell you if a note matches or if it's off, but I couldn't tell you if it's in A sharp or B flat or whatever.

Basically, my first main question is this: once I've corrected the pitch, am I done? Does correcting the pitch automatically adjust the speed to its intended setting; i.e., the way it was played live?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
These days of digital manipulation of music can get quite confusing...

The answer is : it depends....

Are the files longer, timewise? Then you're done, with speed slower and pitch lower together. There should be a checkbox to change pitch without affecting speed, or vice-versa. You don't want to do that. Changing pitch without speed correction in tandem will stretch the recording, or changing time without simultaneous pitch changes will be wrong, too.

Look at length of file before and after. They should be the 2.5% longer (or was that shorter) ie a 1 hour show should be an hour and a couple minutes now.
One other word of advice for you is to JOIN all the files of the show into one, and apply the speed correction to the entire show, then re-track split. If you don't you'll introduce sector boundary errors on almost every track. Real time lengths and CD frame lengths won't match when you lengthen individual tracks, and new tracks will cut off milliseconds/ add blank bits, creating poppong/clicks/silences between tracks.
Hope that helps...