Thread: mp3>FLAC?
View Single Post
Old 2007-01-25, 12:46 PM
TTD Staff

Re: mp3>FLAC?

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to come off as uppity, I am just trying to teach you.

A flac (or shn or ape) file is a way to convert a wav file to a smaller, but still lossless, file and then share those files. A 5 minutes wav file could be about 50 MB. A flac file of that same wav file could be about 30 MB, so that is only about 60% of the size. But, that flac file when converted back to wav will be exactly the same as the original wav file. So, this is all lossless. An mp3 of that original wav file can be about 5 MB, so about 10% of the original size. However, if you then convert that mp3 back to a wav file, it WILL NOT be exactly the same. You will miss a lot of the high frequencies of that wav file. This is why mp3s are LOSSY, not lossless like a flac file.

Does that explain it a little bit better? Feel free to keep asking questions and I'll try my best to explain it.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes