View Single Post
Old 2005-11-08, 06:05 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP

Re: A question about burning shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
also with DVD shows, most traders want you to include the md5 checksum, info texts, art, etc when trading a DVD show.
Actually I find that not to be the case when trading DVDs. I've traded almost exclusively in DVD-ROM (UDF) format with no text file or md5 included. Even in vines (although the thread may have that info) I have seen this, although when I seed vines it is with md5 and txt as data. In theory not having md5 and txt shouldn't be a problem becaue you are able to easily make an exact copy and still have it work in your player without conversion or anything, ie dragging the VIDEO_TS folder to your HD. But sometimes when I burn with Toast it changes the VIDEO_TS.BUP and .IFO file. I actually haven't had any problems trading those shows at all, but the fact reamins that those 2 small files are different. As I said I haven't had one problem except when trading a few PAL formatted DVDs. The dude's player couldn't play them because it was old.

EDIT: I say this from experience, people usually don't care. I never ask for data discs specifically either. I asked people if they wanted md5s or text files when I first started trading but no one really wanted them. I've only had one request for md5s in the probably 25 DVD trades I've done. I try and remind the people receiving the discs to test them and see if they work when they get them. For example I just tested a disc I got in a trade and it was blank. Unfortunately this is like a month afer I got the discs...

Last edited by gsmyth79; 2005-11-08 at 06:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes